Share this Product
50 PSI Blast Door
This is a tested and proven pre-hung explosion resistant blast door that offers excellent protection from the extremely high pressure blast waves produced by a large conventional or nuclear device detonated in close proximity to your shelter.
This is not a blast hatch - it mounts in the vertical position - like a normal door. You can step over the threshold and walk through it. We also have a blast hatch that is built similar to this door. A blast hatch is a smaller "door" that mounts horizontally like a hatch on a submarine.
The doors can be made to spec, but the standard door is 32 inches wide, 72 inches tall. The ASR series 7200 Blast Doors are rated to withstand high pressure waves up to 7,200 pounds per square foot - 50 pounds per square inch (PSI). Additionally, this door also offers an air tight compression seal between the door and the frame allowing for the use of a positive pressure NBC filtration system inside the shelter. The inside cam latches suck the door into the gasket on the door jamb as they are rotated. In order to make any blast door air tight, you must have a step-over threshold for a mating surface at the bottom of the door.
We purposely made this door as nondescript as possible because nothing says "valuables inside" like a blast door that looks like a bank vault. It is shipped to you primered so you can paint it to blend in with whatever is around your shelter entrance. See the painted blast door with the mirror on it below that is mounted inside a home. The mirror hides the viewing port built into the door.
All of the seemingly small, but very important details are engineered into this door:
- A steel shroud covers a user-supplied paddle lock in order to ensure nobody enters your shelter without your knowledge. A key component of this hasp is also taken inside with you in order to keep someone from easily placing a lock on it while you are inside. By supplying your own lock you ensure that you are the only one with a key - and you can easily change the lock if your keys are compromised.
- The door is constructed with an envelope of 3/16 inch steel plate - but after you hang it in place, you fill it with concrete - no forms necessary - the skins are in place. This construction method keeps the door relatively light for installation - and once it is filled with cured concrete, it has a lot of dense mass between you and whatever fallout is outside your shelter. It also helps to prevent anyone from using a cutting torch to gain access through the door because concrete doesn't "burn."
- The massive hinges have 1.375 inch shafts captured by bronze bushings that are packed with grease - and they feature grease zerks so that you can keep them lubricated for smooth, effortless opening of the finished weight of 2,100 pounds. The hinges alone weigh 30 pounds.
- There is a one-way viewer built into the door so you can see what is happening outside.
- The door has been engineered to withstand a "rebound load." That is a vacuum force sucking the door outward right after the blast wave passes over. A detonation blasts all the atmosphere outward from the epicenter, creating a vacuum. This vacuum can be as deadly as the high-pressure blast wave. That is why our blast doors have the rebound load rating and our automatic blast valves are double acting.
ASR has engineered and built many custom doors, including:
- A double blast door with inside and outside latches for an international chemical manufacturer to protect their workers in one of their production plants.
- A custom blast door for a large American munition manufacturer that is used to protect data logging computers inside a bunker adjacent to a test facility. This door get challenged with repeated detonations of high explosives.
- Two doors for a large zoo that are used in the rhinoceros and hippopotamus enclosure.
All of our blast doors are pre-hung on a steel frame that are pre-drilled for the included heavy duty wedge anchor Thunderstuds. This allows you to install this door after you pour your concrete.
The doors are shipped by truck line to your location. We can specify that the delivery truck has a drop gate so the delivery is on the ground exactly where you want it. The doors have a dry weight of 575 pounds, including the pallet.
We never release any contact information about our customers to anyone for any reason. This discretion ensures that nobody knows about your shelter - unless you tell them.
Please note: these are engineered doors. See the drawings below that were stamped and signed by a licensed mechanical engineer.
They have been engineered to withstand a 50 PSI blast (pressure) in the seated direction and a 1 bar (vacuum) rebound load in the unseated direction.