How to use the Kelly Kettle
The Kelly Kettle® will boil water in 3 to 5 minutes, in all weather conditions, using virtually any fuel you can find...... making it a vital piece of Camping Equipment for anyone who enjoys the outdoors.
Available in Aluminium or Stainless Steel, the Kelly Kettle is essentially a double-walled chimney with the water contained within the chimney wall. Once the camp kettle is filled with water, simply start a very small fire in the base, set the kettle on the base and drop additional fuel down the chimney (natural environmentally friendly fuels such as twigs, leaves, grass, paper, dry-animal dung, etc.!).
The large internal surface area of the chimney heats the water extremely fast so, very little fuel is required. The fire is all safely contained within the fire-base and the chimney of the kettle itself so, a) strong wind and rain does not interfere with the fire and b) the kettle is safe to use in many areas where open fires are not suitable. Within a matter of minutes, the water will come to a rolling boil. It really is that simple!
The Kelly Kettle® is easy to use.
To start with, remove the fire base from the bottom of the kettle and place the base on level ground – flat side down.
1. Remove protective cork/stopper from kettle and fill kettle with water. Do not replace the stopper/cork - the water spout must be free from ALL obstructions when the kettle is in use. (Note:Once filled with water, our kettles should be carried upright and not on their side as they may leak slightly from the chimney top or water spout. If you do not need to carry water in the kettle, we recommend that the stopper/cork be removed entirely from the kettle as this will ensure that the kettle is not misused)
Then place the kettle securely on the base. Additional fuel (small sticks, pine cones, etc.) can now be dropped down the chimney of the kettle.
2. Fill the base with combustible material such as newspaper, dry grass or very small tinder. Add some kindling on top of the tinder.
3. Light fire through the hole(s) in side of the base and face the hole(s) into the wind for extra draft if required.
4. Insert additional fuel through the chimney top as required.
5. When the water boils, use both hands to hold the wire handle at a 90° angle to the body of the Kettle (the wire handle will be cool to touch), then lift the Kettle clear of the base. Once clear of the base, the kettle can be carried around camp like a bucket if needs be. To pour, simply hold the handle in one hand and lift gently on the chain with your other hand.
If additional water is required, simply refill the kettle with water and place it back on the base when the fire is still burning. Refill the chimney with fuel and you can look forward to a second kettle full of boiling water within a matter of minutes!
When you have finished using your kettle, empty it of all water and store it in a dry place. When in storage, the stopper should/cork should be left out of the spout to allow air circulate through the water chamber.
> Always remove the stopper/cork before lighting the kettle. The stopper/cork is only to be used for transporting cold water. The Kettle is not designed to replace your water bottle and should be carried upright when filled with water.
> Boiling the kettle with ANY obstruction in the water spout can result in a serious burn for the user or others in close proximity.
> Never hold the handle above the chimney when the kettle is lit as it can result in a burn for the user.
> Never place the kettle on the fire unless the water chamber is FULL. Do not allow the kettle to boil dry. Do not boil the kettle when it is only half full as, this can cause the upper part of the chimney to overheat and perhaps split, voiding your warranty.
> Always keep children away from the kettle when in use.
> Use surplus water to extinguish fire.
Because of its ease of use, speed, reliability, and the availability of FREE fuel everywhere....the Kelly Kettle has fast become an essential piece of camping equipment for Scouts, Fishing & Hunting, Kayaking, Emergency Preparedness or simple family picnics. Is this essential camping equipment? Thousands of satisfied Kelly Kettle users all around the world certainly think so. Make the Kelly Kettle part of your familys Camping tradition today!